Rose and Violet pulled on an apron for Mother's Day and baked some delicious sweet treats. We found a yummy recipe which apparently is a favourite of Victoria's Secret model (and health fanatic) Miranda Kerr.... and if she eats them we figure we can eat a whole tray full!!
We made our own cake stand using vintage tea cups stacked on top of each other, with a simple cream cake plate on top. And a doiley of course!
And then for something special we wrapped them up in a large white paper doiley with some pink bakers twine from Donna Hay and one of our pink forget-me-not flowers....
And here's the recipe!
Coconut Walnut Bars
2 1/2 cups walnuts (coarsely ground)
2 1/2 cups un-sweetened dried coconut (coarsely ground)
1/2 cup honey or agave
1/4 cup coconut oil (run container under warm water to melt coconut oil a little)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup toasted un-sweetened coconut (for topping)
1/4 cup toasted walnuts (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl or electric mixer combine all ingredients together well. Spray a rectangle baking pan (you can also use a round pie dish or several individual little baking dishes) with organic non-stick spray and evenly press the mixture into the pan.
3. Bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and you start to smell toasted coconut. Be careful not to burn. You may need to cover the pan with foil for the last few minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. When the bar is cool you can spread the warm chocolate glaze all over the top of the bar.
5. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and toasted walnuts. Regrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set the chocolate or serve immediately while the glaze is still warm. As a special dessert top the bar with your favourite frozen treat (like ice cream or rice dream) and a little of the chocolate glaze that has been warmed up and a few toasted walnuts and toasted coconut. Yum!!
This chocolate glaze is so good that you will probably want to double the recipe! It's great to dip fruit into and also makes a really nice warm topping for frozen treats.
1 cup un-sweetened coco powder
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons un-sweetened coconut milk.
1. Put the honey, coconut oil and coconut milk in a medium size pan on medium heat and cook continually stirring until it is melted and very warm, but not boiling.
2. Remove from heat and whisk in the coco powder and continue stirring until the mixture is well combined and silky smooth.
Love Rose & Violet